Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Heart Full of Thanks

Wow, it is hard to believe it is already Thanksgiving. It feels like just days ago it was Halloween. It is crazy when I realize that Allison will turn one in 2 weeks and that in 2 1/2 weeks Cole and I will have been married for 9 years. I remember listening to "older" women talk about how fast time flies. They always said "it never slows down, just keeps going by faster and faster." Well I guess I am an "older" woman now, because I realize just how true they were. As much as I want to cherish every moment, live every minute and take advantage of every day I have - it just seems like the days keep flying by faster and faster. Before I know it, Kaitlin will be baptized and it will all just keep going from there! This year, I have been so touched by all the amazing blessings that have come into our lives. We have never been so poor! With us deciding it was time for me to be a stay-at-home mom and with Cole starting a new business - we haven't had as "comfortable" of a year as years have been in the past. We've definitely had trials - Kaitlin's spinal cord, my recovery from a rough pregnancy, our callings, and many more personal and family trials. And yet, I sit here now, realizing just how much we have grown and how truly blessed we are. We are content and at peace in our home, with our old car, with what we do and do not have. Our children are happy. We have time to spend with one another. I am not sure what more we could be given.
This year, on November 1, we hung up our Blessing Branch. Each morning (well, as often as we remembered!), we each have named something we were grateful for and hung in on the branch. It was fun to watch the kids' blessings change from the usual house, clothes, and food to friends, family, daddy's job, tithing blessings, and their Savior, Jesus Christ. I have been through and watched close friends go through tremendous struggles this year. This song has been ever present in my head since our November 1st "Branch Hanging." I know my Savior loves me and that He died for me. He has given me all that I have; all that I am I owe to him.
"When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done."
Skipping to the last verse:
"So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end."
I am so grateful for hymns that touch my heart and speak peace to my soul.
Here is our Blessing Branch. It is kind of hard to see because of the light coming through the front door, but there are 89 different blessings on that branch.
"When you look at others with their lands of gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
Count your many blessings money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven nor your home on high."

My blessings money could never buy:
My oldest "baby" boy. I cherish the questions he asks when we have our scripture study. His little mind is so astute and searching for truth.



Brock, my little miracle child. ( I have a lot of those!) It is a miracle he is even able to move. Shortly after birth, we were told he would probably never move his left side of his body. After several weeks of prayers, blessings and passive movement, his left side regained it's strength. He is a lefty now and as active as any other child. With his energy and zeal for life, you would never know he was dead at birth. He is a testament to me that God has a purpose for each of us and that Brock's purpose was not accomplished at that time.

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness, I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Ether 12:27

Our little boys!
I'm not sure where Brock got the "DEATH STARE" from!
It's pretty funny, that stare seems to follow me!
A family craft made from their hands and feet! Even Allison has one!
Oh, there's a good one without the death stare!
Another family craft! This is also the craft that our family took to school today and did with Kaitlin's class. They are so cute and super fun to make! Brock was trying to look like a turkey in this one - that's why his mouth looks a little "odd!"

Turkey on a rock!

Turkey on the grass! This poor little turkey is even missing a tooth!
Turkey on a trampoline!

Another turkey on the grass!


I am so thankful for my big girl! I love having a girl first. I feel bad that she will never have a big brother, but I guess that's why she got a double dose of little brothers! She is such a helper. Her positive attitude is infectious. She helps, she cleans, she loves, she snuggles her brothers, she reads to her sister, she just loves living. She is a great example of someone who's life blesses others just by being there.

They are so lucky to have each other. I can already tell that these two will be best buddies forever! They need each other so much and fill that need in such unique ways. I know it seems weird that a baby could fill a need, but it really is true - it's like she senses what she needs to do!

Here is another Turkey project - only this one was edible! We made homemade (dairy-free) oreos and decorated them like turkeys! We had a blast. This is another project we took to school today to do with Kaitlin's class.


Isn't she a doll! I'm not sure there are even words for how blessed our family is for Kaitlin. She has been having a lot of pain lately with a syrinx of the spinal cord in her thoracic and lumbar region. You would never know it unless you were here when she finally breaks down. She just refuses to let it stop her until she is unable to take it anymore! We went to Primary Children's for an evaluation with a neurosurgeon. Needless to say, it has been a stressful few months waiting and wondering. Long story short, I believe that sometimes a persons attitude (or positive energy) has the ability to heal and work miracles. They are unable to operate because her syrinx is so thin, which is a blessing, since the operation is a shunt from her spinal cord to her abdomen. Unfortunately, without the shunt, they can't help with the pain she is experiencing. We talked about this on our way home and she said, "I'll just have to play till it hurts and then pretend it doesn't!" What an amazing attitude for a 7 year old.

How neat was this?! Her class had all been aware of the appointment at Primary Children's and aware of how worried Kaitlin was about it. When we got back, they had a special treat and this card, signed by all 24 students in her class. They had all written something special to her or about her. I have never seen someone light up so much. I am so grateful for her teacher, Anna Poulton, and for all the people who bless our lives in countless ways. We are truly blessed.
"Count your many blessings; Name the one by one.
Count your blessings; See what God hath done.
Count your blessings; Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings; See what God hath done. "

3 comments:

Kaysie Adams said...

I just love your little family! Your kids are so special. You and Cole are definitely blessed. I am so grateful that we became neighbors and friends. Your family blesses ours in so many ways.

amberkei said...

You have an amazing family, Kristen. I am thankful that I know you. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas season!

Stephanie said...

Wow! You did such a fun job with all the Thanksgiving crafts! I am going to steal that Blessing Branch one. He he What a great idea! :) We have a lot to be grateful for.