Thursday, March 31, 2011

Spring Break and a Birthday

Spring break usually isn't that big of a deal around our house.  We head over to Zion's for the day or take a trip to feed the ducks, but mostly we just stay home and hang-out together.  This year, Cole and I decided we should go somewhere.  We decided this clear back in January and boy am I glad we listened to that little prompting;)  We had such a fun get-a-way together.

Initially we had planned on going to Arizona or the beach or something out of the ordinary, but when it came right down to it - who has the $400 extra it costs to get there and back in gas?! We headed to Vegas instead.  Let me just say - I HATE Vegas.  Every time we go, I swear that I will never go again. And more importantly, that I will NEVER take my kids.  But, we got a timeshare off the strip and thanks to the help of some friends who live there, found some fun things to do that didn't involve all the negative aspects of Las Vegas.  I still don't like Vegas. We had a horrible experience on the strip (at 3:00 in the afternoon trying to get to the M&M factory.) Imagine me huddling my poor kids in my arms bawling at the street corner. (Yep, it was that bad.) Anyway, the kids and I retreated to the water show while Cole (my hero) ran back to get the car.  He picked us up and delivered us at the M&M Factory and then picked us back up when we were done.  No more walking the strip for this family. *But that is a story for a whole different time.

Brandon's favorite M&M - the yellow one! Never knew that before, but I think he was glad he picked it because it was the only one we saw to take a picture with!

Kaitlin saw the girls in front of us making crazy poses - aaahh, so impressionable.


Thursday morning the Leprechauns had paid a visit.  They have never visited us before, but this year we actually decorated a little bit. (It was so much fun to decorate the timeshare!)  In the morning they had left each kid a specially marked $5.00 bill with instructions to save it all year and put it back in the pot next year for a special surprise. There was gold coins and some gold candies for Kaitlin and tons and tons of beads!
Cole and I were right in the end of training for our 5K, so we couldn't afford to take a break.  We started out the mornings with a run on the treadmill and then swimming.  I have to say, it was the perfect start to a vacation (which is so cool for me to say;)
Oh they melt my heart!  I think my favorite part of the trip was just hanging out in the pool!





I wish we had a picture of all of us decked out in green!  We were quite the spectacle!  Even Cole wore a green shirt and holy moly did we get the attention!  We went to Olive Garden for lunch and I'm not exaggerating when I say that every person that walked in or walked by us stopped and said how cute our kids were. It's funny to be outside of Utah with 4 kids.  It's like we are a novelty! haha! (Especially in matching green!)

Thursday night we headed over to Las Vegas Grand Prix for an early celebration for Kaitlin's birthday.  It was nice because we practically had the rides to ourselves.  Their 1 hour wrist band went a REALLY long way!  Kaitlin was the only one big enough to drive the Grand Prix cars.  I'm pretty sure that if they realized she was only 8, the wouldn't have let her drive, but I guess that is a perk of being so tall for your age!  At first, she was SCARED to DEATH!  She timidly drove around the track and plugged the whole thing up for all the cars behind her!  Then, all of the sudden, fear was gone and the girl was NUTS!  She was driving like a pro!  I'm a little scared of what we've awoken inside her, but it sure was fun!  She got to go on the cars over and over again and even had the track all to herself on her last race. 
The boys got to drive these pokey little things!  They sure thought they were fun though and it was so funny to watch their differences show up again!  Brock was so busy grinning and flirting with one of the girls, while Brandon was all business.  Brandon was very intense, while Brock had fun and especially had fun when he blocked Brandon from passing for a while! 
Friday morning was Kaitlin's birthday!  I can't believe I have a 9 year old.  I can't believe it has been a year since she was baptized.  Oh my! Where has the year gone.  She informed us that if she is like her mom, she will be married in another 9!  Eeek!  I wasn't really sure what to say about that!;)


After we checked out, we had Kaitlin's rainbow cupcakes on the patio by the pool!  It was beautiful outside!

Then we headed to the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay.  (I have to say, this is definitely something I wouldn't do again....but, we had a bunch of people tell us how cool it was and so it was what Kaitlin really wanted to do.  Sigh!) There were some fun things to see and the kids had fun touching the Sting Rays, but overall, I thought it was a little disappointing. 

This was the coolest thing! Should've just stayed out here and saved ourselves the money;)


This is exactly how we all felt by the time we got home - wiped out!
We had such a great trip together, but as always, whenever we vacation, I am reminded of what is most important. The things we remember the most and the things that were the most fun were the simple things.  It doesn't matter where we are, it's just making the time for just each other.  We toured the airport (our kids had never seen a "REAL" airport), watched planes fly in and out for hours, watched the BYU game together on the king-size bed, toured the candy factory, played PAC-MAN wars, and swam and swam and swam.  It was just right.

I sure do love these guys and was sad to have to head home and have them all go back to school and work.

No comments: