Sunday, June 6, 2010

The American Pasttime

Baseball is in full swing these days, of course, with only 1 game left, it will all come to an end shortly. I can't believe how fast and furious this season has been. Most weeks they have played a game on Tuesday and Saturday with practice on Thursdays. But don't get me wrong, we have loved every minute of it!

Brandon and Brock are on the Holiday Inn Express team (I know, super cool name, huh?) It is such a fun team because it consists solely of kids in our Primary. They know everyone on the team and let me tell you, this team is GOOD! All of the kids are quite the little ball players. It's fun to sit on the sidelines and cheer them on with friends and family. I looked around the other day and saw all the parents, grandparents, aunt, uncles, friends sitting in their lawn chairs or on blankets and thought - no wonder this game has been loved for centuries. I know there is nothing I'd rather do on a summer night than sit and watch my boys or Cole play ball. And based on the way the boys are LOVING baseball so much, I'll bet that is what I end up doing a LOT! (Besides the fact that we spend 2 nights a week watching Cole play too!)

I love the smiles the boys have in these pictures. They really do LOVE baseball! More often than not, I'll find them out in the backyard pitching to each other and "running the bases" when they whack it! We have an "X" marked on our block fence and Brandon will go out for hours and throw the ball at that thing! Although, I went out the other day to find about 40 blocks marked with "X's" and Brock explained that they did it so they could always hit an "X"! Not exactly the point, but.....what smart kids! Brandon also loves to throw the ball up our roof line and practice catching it when it comes back off. These guys really do just love the game. It's weird that it could just be ingrained in them, but it is. I'm sure it has nothing to do with all the nights that we have watched Cole play ball or the fact that Cole and I both love to play and watch it!
Look at those smiles!



Brock hit an awesome hit for his first at-bat during the game. He got halfway home, but his coach sent him back to 3rd. Darn it - you can bet he brought that up when his brother hit his home run! (Don't worry - there's no competition between them! haha!) Anyway, here he is sliding into home to finish his GREAT hit!


Brandon at 3rd, waiting to run home!


All the kids like playing catcher because they actually get the ball and get to throw it a lot. I was worried about him though, there was a kid on the other team that would hit the ball and CHUCK the bat. It was scary!








I love the concentration on Brock's face! This was probably the catch that he ran right into Brandon trying to get the ball! Brock was on 2nd and Brandon was playing shortstop. Brandon caught a fly ball but got BOWLED over by Brock who was also trying to catch the ball and dropped it! Oh well, at least it was his brother!


There's that smile again! I think he was trying to catch the ball, but I'm not sure how he could even see with that crazy ball cap!

I absolutely love this next series of pictures! Brandon was on second waiting for the ball to be hit. The batter was having a little difficulty and the coaches kept pitching it until he hit it. These are the various shots I got of him WAITING!

I hope I don't embarrass him with this one - but he was doing it, and now I can use something against him when he is a teenager!



Brock was trying so hard to catch a ball. Brandon caught one last week and again this week and Brock wants to SOOO bad! It's harder because he is at 2nd and there aren't very many balls that are still on the fly by the time they get to 2nd! He is such a hustler though and is very determined! I'm sure he'll get one!

She's gonna be a ball player too!

I just love these little guys (Twinkie cream faces and all!) I am so proud of them this year and am so glad they are having so much fun. I just can't wait for what will come as these two continue to grow up together and drive each other to be better and better! I'm so lucky they are such great friends!

1 comment:

Patty said...

What great pictures!! Those should be family treasures. I love how they marked more blocks on the wall with an "X". Very clever boys!!