
This year, Kaitlin has really wanted to get involved in school events. A few months before the science fair was even announced, she began thinking about what kind of science project she wanted to do. Around the same time, I bought my Kitchenaid and began learning to make bread. Somehow or another we came up with the idea of adding sugar to the bread to see how high it would rise. She thought (as we both did) that the more sugar we added, the bigger the loaf would be. We were both wrong. The loaf with no sugar was the biggest! Weird! Anyway, she had a blast making all the loaves of bread and making her presentation board. The cool thing is, I can't remember any of my science projects, even though I participated for 6 years! I guess it's because they really didn't have any value to me, but I don't think Kaitlin will ever forget about this science project because every time we make bread now, she brings it up!
I was so proud of Kaitlin. She won 2nd place for her grade. A kid from her class won 1st place, so she thought it was so cool that they both were winners! I'm a bit prejudice, but I think Kaitlin's was by far the best project. I guess, I was so lucky to have an amazing principal in Elementary school, Pat Jenkins. She made such a big deal of everything. Being my first time as a mom, I expected this same "big deal" for this science fair. (You can see I even had her wear a nice dress and everything!) After all, Kaitlin had been working non-stop on baking bread and making graphs for 2 weeks. Ladd and Krystal, Dallas and Amy, Lance and Shanna and Jackson, and Grandpa Roundy all came down for the "Parent Night" thing. There was supposed to be an awards ceremony at a certain time and so Kaitlin and I went early and she answered questions about her project while Cole and everyone else was going to come just for the awards ceremony. All of the sudden, 15 minutes early, they circle around a microphone (in a very nonchalant manner) and start calling out the winners. I was so mad. You really couldn't even hear what they were saying and her dad, her uncles and aunts, grandpa and brothers all missed it - they walked in just as it was wrapping up. Mostly, I'm impressed with her school, but this was one thing that I was very disappointed in. Anyway, I kept reminding myself that the important thing was that Kaitlin felt so special. She was thrilled with second place and was so proud of her project. She proudly wore her medal for the next 2 days and was recognized the next day in the school's assembly. You would have thought she was "Queen of the World!" She says she "is DEFINITELY doing the science fair again next year!" Heaven help me, next year I'll have 3 of them wanting to do science projects!
I was so proud of Kaitlin. She won 2nd place for her grade. A kid from her class won 1st place, so she thought it was so cool that they both were winners! I'm a bit prejudice, but I think Kaitlin's was by far the best project. I guess, I was so lucky to have an amazing principal in Elementary school, Pat Jenkins. She made such a big deal of everything. Being my first time as a mom, I expected this same "big deal" for this science fair. (You can see I even had her wear a nice dress and everything!) After all, Kaitlin had been working non-stop on baking bread and making graphs for 2 weeks. Ladd and Krystal, Dallas and Amy, Lance and Shanna and Jackson, and Grandpa Roundy all came down for the "Parent Night" thing. There was supposed to be an awards ceremony at a certain time and so Kaitlin and I went early and she answered questions about her project while Cole and everyone else was going to come just for the awards ceremony. All of the sudden, 15 minutes early, they circle around a microphone (in a very nonchalant manner) and start calling out the winners. I was so mad. You really couldn't even hear what they were saying and her dad, her uncles and aunts, grandpa and brothers all missed it - they walked in just as it was wrapping up. Mostly, I'm impressed with her school, but this was one thing that I was very disappointed in. Anyway, I kept reminding myself that the important thing was that Kaitlin felt so special. She was thrilled with second place and was so proud of her project. She proudly wore her medal for the next 2 days and was recognized the next day in the school's assembly. You would have thought she was "Queen of the World!" She says she "is DEFINITELY doing the science fair again next year!" Heaven help me, next year I'll have 3 of them wanting to do science projects!
1 comment:
What a great idea she had! I always had a hard time thinking of anything good for those things. Way to go, Kaitlin! :)
Post a Comment