Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Our Christmas Story (The LONG version!)

This is the gift the boys made Kaitlin, I don't know what is wrong with my computer,
but I can't seem to be able to move the pics right now.

In typical "me" fashion, this post is late and skips over fairly significant events that took place in our family in the month of December! Of course, when I get a chance, I usually bulldoze through whatever task I have at hand and then ignore it for a while. The good news about that is that all of our Christmas is included in this fairly lengthy entry. The bad news - it will probably be a while before I write again and it is even possible that Allison's 1st birthday may be skipped altogether! (The other bad news - I use this same technique with house cleaning!) Anyways...we had a great Christmas this year. Different, but great. Last year was so peaceful and charming. I had completed most of my Christmas tasks done before Halloween which meant we avoided all of the Christmas hustle-bustle and were able to focus on the important things. Before you think I'm crazy, let me explain. I was pregnant with Allison and have always gone into pre-term labor, so I wanted to make sure I was ready, just in case. And of course, I went into labor at 31 weeks and ended up having her 4 weeks later, on the 10th, so it was a good thing I had planned ahead. It was so nice to have a brand-new baby at Christmas time. We spent most of our time home, together, watching Christmas movies, doing some baking and coloring. This year, it was fun to have a one-year old around, but not quite as peaceful and sweet as last year! Another big change was that this year is the first in the last 9 that I haven't been working. It was amazing to be able to concentrate on my kids and what I wanted our Christmas to be like, rather than trying to focus on 10 things at once. The bad thing was, this was also our first year living on one income. This made things a little hairy! Nonetheless, we were so blessed this year. Christmas was still good and somehow, everything just works out - even if it was very different than the years before! To start things off, we have gone to Richfield and gotten our own real tree each year for the past several years. This year, I was too wiped out, our schedules were crazy, not to mention the price of gas in his truck - we couldn't even imagine a trip to Richfield. Instead, we pulled out a tree from our reception 10 years ago. It says it is 6 feet, but I am pretty sure it has shrunk, just like me! We sure had fun decorating it though, especially since the kids could reach all the way to the top with a chair! I guess, on the bright side, it was nice to have a fake tree this year since Allison liked to nibble on the branches! She also took a few tumbles into the tree while reaching for ornaments, so guess we should be grateful for our puny little tree this year! That was just one of the changes this year, but all in all, the magic of Christmas was there, as it is every year.


This year, I took the kids to the Green Valley Nativity Festival. It was amazing. The bad thing was that we got there right when a group from a nursing home did, so we had to walk REALLY, REALLY slow and I got a few dirty looks from older women who have forgotten what it was like to have children. I mean really, she's 1, do you think she can read the signs that say, "REVERENCE IS APPRECIATED?" Grrr. Anyways, the nativities were beautiful and we spent a lot of time there just enjoying the portrayals from different countries. I was amazed at the details my kids noticed and the questions they asked. They were amazed in the kids' section when they got to dress up as shepherds and see all the tools that Joseph would have used. At the end of the tour, there is a brief display about Christ's life and atonement. The spirit was so strong and this was where my kids seemed to want to linger. I was so grateful to be able to attend this and remind ourselves of the true meaning of Christmas. When we got home, we made our own nativity. I used stickers of the nativity and put them on blocks that we sanded and painted. Then we just modge podged over them. The kids had so much fun making them and I loved that they had a nativity set that they could play with. It is definitely something we will do next year.


Kaitlin chased Alli around for a while until she finally was able to get the shepherd attire on her! Once it was on, you would have thought Alli was queen of the world, the way she pranced around!


These are out of order, but these are pics of Christmas morning!
Playing with the wiggle cars until mommy got worried about her wood floor! (What a scrooge, I know!)







We had our ward Christmas party early in the month this year. It was a lot of fun, especially since Cole, my bah-humbug of Christmas, had to go up in front of the whole ward and sing a Christmas carol! I couldn't believe it when Brother Griffiths called on him. Luckily, his buddy Tim, went up with him. They actually sounded pretty darn good, too! I laughed so hard, I was crying! I do have it recorded, I'll have to see if I can post it! After the Christmas carolling, Mr. and Mrs. Claus even came. Kaitlin is convinced that this Santa was the real Santa!





I love the look on Allison's face!


The second week in December, Cole's uncle died, so we made an unscheduled trip to Richfield. (We debated getting a tree while we were up there, but at that point, there was no way I was going to decorate another tree. Plus, I had actually grown to be very thankful for our little tree since Allison would have had way too much fun with a real one!) While we were there, we decorated gingerbread houses. I don't know of any other grandma in the world who would have enough candy on hand to decorate 5 gingerbread houses, but Susann did! It was so much fun! I'm so mad though, I thought I had taken pictures of the finished products, but I guess not. Oh well...they were cute. It was cute to see their personalities come through on their houses. Brandon's was simple, but included a car. Kaitlin's was loaded with stuff and very random. Brocks was symmetrical and intricate! The bad thing was, we had taken Cole's truck up and when we got ready to come home, it was snowing. We couldn't put anything in the back and the entire cab was full! Thankfully, after a lot of careful planning, we got the houses back to St. George safe and sound! I think it's disgusting, but the kids ate them the day after Christmas! I tried to convince them not to, but then I finally gave up! Someday they'll look back on these days with fondness!




All the 2nd graders at Kaitlin's school performed a Christmas Show this year. It was on our anniversary, the 16th. Cole and left for the night, but then came back for the show. I wanted to cry when she walked out! She has just grown up so fast and is such a sweet girl. It was hard to imagine that 9 years before that we were just getting married. Who could have ever imagined the amazing course our lives would take. She sang her little heart out and smiled the whole time!


My little reindeer! I underestimated the temptation that the red lipstick nose would be! As soon as the noses were on, they were busy rubbing and touching each other's noses! It was such a mess! But I thought these turned out sooo cute!


Christmas angels! I bought this dress for Kaitlin last year, and I'm pretty sure it will fit for a few more! It is beautiful on her though. I was so grateful to a family in our ward who knew this year was a little tighter for us and showed up with a bag of Christmas dresses for Allison. I was so touched and so grateful. It's funny how much more special the Sunday's in December were with Alli and Kaitlin looking so festive.


The traditional Christmas Eve cookie decorating! I was sad that Cole had to work this year on Christmas Eve because last year he was hilarious decorating his cookies! Oh well - someone has to work and I am so grateful he is so willing to work so hard. These are Kaitlin's Christmas cookies for Santa! She gets to pick one to give to Santa and got to eat the rest! I was excited this year because I found a Krusteaz gingerbread cookie that didn't have milk!




Brandon's cookies. He wasn't done yet, but I was ready to put the camera away!

My cookies! Cole was a little offended - he didn't think his hips were that big!!! I was pretty sure mine were!



Brock's cookies! He always puts extra candy on his plate. That way, if he doesn't use it all decorating his cookies, he HAS to eat it!


My sister's son, Landon, had a birthday on the 22nd, but they weren't down until the 24th, so we sang Happy Birthday and let him open his birthday presents before we did our Nativity and opened Grandma's Christmas eve present. (Not a good idea! He had a hard time focusing; can't imagine why!)



Here's Kaitlin modelling her new jammies!


Good ol' Landon, always making some crazy face for the camera! Look how hard Ashley is laughing!



Brandon and Landon. I'm afraid these two are going to be very mischievous together when they get older.


My sweet boys! I can't even imagine...


Grandma and Brock. Brock was sooooo thankful for his jammies; he LOVED them. He kept giving grandma and grandpa hugs and saying thank you!










Just after this picture was taken, we hear Brandon in his room yelling, "PRAYERS, mom!" It took him a few minutes of yelling this to get our attention and then we just started laughing. He was so anxious to have Santa come that he had just left the fun and gotten in bed! He was just waiting for us to say prayers so he could go to sleep! It was so cute!

After everyone left, we opened our presents to eachother. This year, we made most of our gifts for eachother. It was so sweet to see the true spirit of Christmas enter our house that night. The kids were so excited to give everyone their presents; they didn't even want to pause to open theirs. They were bouncing anxiously as their gifts were opened and then they would eagerly explain all the details of the gifts' making. It was such a special night. I went to bed that night knowing that we had done something very right with Christmas this year, even if it hadn't been the Christmas my dreams had envisioned!


Cole got Kaitlin this pink BYU jersey! She was the only one in the family not fully equiped with BYU attire! Not so anymore! Kaitlin gave Cole and I letters thanking us for what we do for our family. I made the kids piggy banks from recycled Marshmallow puff jars and made them a countdown calendar. Kaitlin painted airplanes for the boys and made a jingle bell rattle for Allison. The boys made a fancy princess thing for Kaitlin and helped us put together a very special present for Kaitlin.



The boys showing off the airplanes that Kaitlin painted and gave them!
When Brandon opened his piggybank, he said, "Thanks mom, I've always wanted one of these! I'm going to put all my missionary money in it!" Then he came and gave me a big hug and sat on my lap! It melted my heart!

Allison playing with the rattle that Kaitlin made her!


All Kaitlin asked Santa for was a Barbie doll house. When we asked the boys what they wanted to get Kaitlin for Christmas, they both said a doll house too. We decided to give her a doll house from the whole family because we wanted the boys to feel the joy of giving rather than letting Santa give it. It was fun to keep it a secret and even more fun to see how excited the boys were setting it up and when we brought it out for her. She didn't even know what to think at first, then she almost started crying as she ran around and gave everyone hugs. It was such a special moment. I was so proud of the boys for not being jealous or sad that she got it. They were so happy! They have a ton of fun playing with her though!


After exchanging our family gifts, it was off to bed! The kids anxiously jumped into bed. In fact, after saying our prayers, I opened our Christmas story book (that I had been reading stories from each night) and the kids all said, "No mom. We don't need a story tonight." I assured them I wasn't reading a story, I just wanted to read them a scripture and Brock said, "Mom, we read a lot of scripture tonight. We're good!" Apparently the verses in Luke were enough for him! I read the quick verse I had wanted to share and then off they went! By the time we went in to tuck and kiss them, Brock and Kaitlin were already asleep! Cole and I were in the front room tidying up and Brandon came in and said, "Mom, will you please hurry up and go to bed!" He was really worried Santa wouldn't come if I stayed up cleaning! This year, we left milk and CF Diet Coke for Santa! It was an experiment to see which one he liked best! He drank both! Next year, we are just leaving CF Diet Coke though; we are pretty sure that is what Santa REALLY wants!

Christmas Morning started early for us! Kaitlin ran in our room at 4:15 announcing that Santa had come. We mumbled something like "Go back to bed," and off she went! A few minutes later we hear sobbing coming from the kids' room! This wasn't a "poor me" cry, this was an "I'm badly injured" cry! We ran in their room and apparently, on their way back into their room, Brandon ran into the handle of the door! He was bawling! At that point, we were all awake, so the kids opened Santa! I love how grateful they are. They were excited, but took their time to really examine each gift! They each got a metal bat (I hope this doesn't come back to haunt us), a t-ball, a basketball, a pack of tennis balls (so they don't break my windows while they play ball in the back yard),a DVD and a game. Then they got 2 wiggle cars to share. They stayed up and played together, while I watched on the couch half-asleep and Cole went back to bed!


The other pictures of Christmas are farther up on this post; I couldn't get them to move! The kids always tease Cole about getting coal for Christmas, so this year, Santa acutally put coal in Cole's stocking! The kids thought that was super funny and Brock said Santa was just warning him that he better be good next year! On Christmas morning, my family came over and Cole and I made our traditional breakfast burritos! We had a great time playing games and just hanging out, especially since Ashley was here solo, not attached to any random man this year! She so much fun when she is just herself. My parents got the kids some really fun things and they all had fun watching Cole try to fly a plane my dad gave him. My parents gave us an amazing gift this year, a laptop! I'm not sure we deserved it, but we sure love it! The next day, after Cole got off work, we headed to Richfield where his brothers and their families were all waiting. We have never had such a great time together. The 2 days were filled with games, a chocolate fountain, games and more games! Cole took his little airplane to Richfield and the boys (the big boys) were flying it in the front room. They were having fun seeing how close they could get it to the girls and then laughing when we screamed and ducked. Well, apparently I didn't scream and duck enough one time because the darn thing flew right into my hair and stuck! Cole and Ladd had to get the scissors and cut it out! We stayed up Sunday night until 1 playing games when we realized we were all hungry! All 8 of us packed into our Expedition (leaving the sleeping kids with grandpa and grandma - who were also asleep) and headed to Salina (a town 20 minutes away) to eat at Denny's! It was so much fun! I knew I had been watching too much Twilight when we walked into Denny's as a group and I envisioned the scene were they are all walking into the cafeteria! Not a good thing!!! That's when I knew I was tired! We didn't get home that night until 3:00 and even then, we didn't want that night to end because we knew that the next day everyone would have to go home! I am so grateful for our families. We are very blessed. It was a year I will never forget. This Christmas was definitely a special one, one that reminded me that Christmas isn't about the presents or toys, but about my Savior and all that He has given me.

No comments: