Tuesday, January 26, 2010
We Start 'em Young!
One of my great loves in life is basketball. I love to watch it, play it, make plays for it, analyze players abilities and most of all, I just love the sound of a ball dribbling on the court and swishing through the net. I think my love of basketball started at my house in Apple Valley. My dad had a key painted on the cement and I can remember playing outside for hours, late at night, all by myself in the middle of 2 1/2 acres of dirt! I used to play ball anytime I couldn't figure something out or was frustrated. I would just sit on the free throw line and set a goal and then keep going until I made it! The bad thing was that if I missed, the ball would roll out into the pitch black ...FOREVER, so I got pretty good at MAKING my shots! We had a whole lot of games out in that front yard! Anyway, ever since our kids were little I wanted to teach them basketball - girl or boy - it didn't matter! We got the boys a hoop for their birthday last year and we spend a lot of our Friday nights at the community center as a family, playing basketball. Kaitlin is quite the little dribbler - even if she still isn't coordinated enough to look pretty doing it! Her shot is starting to come, too. Brandon and Brock, well, they are their own description! I really don't understand how kids come programmed for sports, but these two did. Brandon has an amazing little shot. He can already dribble to the backboard and make a lay-up. Brock has so much energy, he has a hard time reining it in to dribble and run at the same time, but boy, can he steal the ball! He also has a good shot, although he isn't very motivated unless Brandon is shooting really well! Then he kicks it into gear! I love the sound of the ball bouncing in the front yard, but lately, if it isn't bouncing outside, it's bouncing against the wall in their room! Yes, I know...we're CRAZY! It has taken Cole and I a while to not panic when we hear the sound, but now it just blends in with the other, everyday sounds at our house! The other day though, I noticed it was awfully quiet. After the boys got home from school, they grabbed their balls and headed to their room to play basketball, but that had been a while and now it was that "EERIE" kind of quiet! I looked in their room and this is what I found! How cute is that? They were wiped out after playing basketball! I hope these moments never go away and that someday they'll remember how much fun they have together!

This is their hoop in their room! They love it!
Cole and I like to go to the community center in the mornings when the kids are at school! We were playing basketball and Allison started screaming at the top of her lungs! She never screams or gets upset, so I was worried. I ran over to her and she grabbed the basketball right out of my arms...end of screaming! (Don't even bother telling me they don't know what they want or how to get it!) We let her out of her stroller and she had fun chasing the ball around the gym. We eventually had to go get her her own ball though because it just wasn't enough to share our ball! She gets the cutest grin when she actually makes a shot, too. Cole held her up and when she made a shot I would clap and cheer. She got so excited, she almost fell right out of Cole's arms! What a little cutie! I can only hope that this love of basketball will continue! Although, she's kind of a shorty - definitely not a tall girl like Kaitlin!

And of course, I can't finish a post about basketball without mentioning "CHURCH BALL!" Yes, it has hit our stake! The guys in our ward are even practicing 3 mornings a week! Can you believe it! I love church ball! I think it is so much fun for people to get together and play sports together. I love that Cole is so athletic and love going to watch him play! I can only imagine what his little temper would have been like in high school since now he is SO much older, wiser, etc, etc and still gets fired up and mouthy! It's fun to watch so many very competitive men try to remember, "It's just a game!" Let's just hope we can make it through a season without any serious injuries this year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment