Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thought for Thursday

Cole's off home teaching, the kids are in the toy room playing, Alli is curled in the couch with her bottle...and me, I'm sitting on the couch, thoroughly wiped out, in my robe and slippers, trying not to cry. Allison has been sick since Sunday with fevers staying in the 102 region despite Tylenol and Motrin. And of course, with my crappy immune system, I also have a fever and body aches and headaches and chills and it just plain stinks. I know, I should be grateful for this temporary sickness that hit our home because it should make me feel grateful for how healthy my household of little ones usually is...but instead I'm just mad, tired and annoyed. I know it could be a lot worse, I could have to deal with trials like the people in Haiti. I could have a whole plethora of struggles that I am sure would be much more difficult, but for today, I'm having a hard enough time dealing with this! I'm a bit embarrassed to say it, but I haven't showered since Monday. Oh, I've taken baths, 3 or 4 a day, but that hasn't helped my disgusting, oily mass of hair. I'm still wearing my robe and slippers, just like I have the past 3 days. I haven't left the house, expect for picking up and taking kids to school and quick run to WalMart to restock Tylenol and Motrin on Tuesday. (And boy oh boy, you should have seen the looks I got there - in my sweats and greasy hair!) I vowed off Facebook, but to kill some time tonight (and since I've watched every movie in our repertoire) I decided to check out blogs. Funny how God can direct us in the most unusual ways. I came across two mommies' blogs who are facing struggles of their own today. Why is it that mommies always feel like they aren't enough? It doesn't matter if we have great kids and a great marriage - if our house isn't perfect - we aren't enough. It doesn't matter if we keep a clean house - if it isn't as nice as someone else's - it isn't enough. It doesn't matter if our kids are adorable and smart - if they don't do something quite as well as someone else's - it isn't enough. It doesn't matter that we are healthy and happy - if we aren't as skinny or as cute as someone else - it isn't enough. What is wrong with us? I'll admit it, at times I look around at other, skinny, beautiful mommies and I think bad thoughts...I sometimes think (and this is the one I revert to the most) ... "Good for her that she is skinny and beautiful, but think of how selfish she is to use all that time to workout and get all that makeup on just to be so beautiful. I'm would rather be fat and ugly and spend time with my kids!" HAHAHA! It sounds so stupid just saying it. The reality is...good for her. Good for her (this her is just an imaginary her, but we all know someone) that she can have great kids and still look amazing. And really, who am I to judge her in any way? Sometimes we think that walking in someone else's shoes will help us figure it all out. Figure out how they do it, figure out how they make it looks so easy, figure out how they do it all...REALLY???? I'm pretty sure none of our shoes are super comfortable. We all struggle and we all have hard things to endure and if we really took a walk in those shoes, wouldn't we just realize that everyone has it rough and we are all just doing the best we can. I don't think taking a walk in someone else's shoes could do anything more than we already have the ability to see. We are all in this together and we all have struggles. Isn't that kind of the point of this earthly life. I mean, call me crazy, but this life was kind of meant to be a challenge and I'm pretty sure we were all sent here at this time to help each other out, not compete against each other or measure ourselves against someone else. I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father is more concerned about the feeling in my home and my heart, than the look of my home or my body. Not that that means I don't care about taking care of weight and my house, but there is definitely a balance and putting it into perspective helps. It amazes me that people that touched my life 10 years ago continue to do so in so many ways. So, thanks Tiff for sharing your thoughts on being a mommy and giving me that little bit of strength I needed tonight to keep hanging on. And most of all, thanks for reminding us all that we are all on the same team - the "Bringing-Up God's Children" team.

Take the time to read this....I know, I know, I usually just ignore these things too, but this is great! Thanks Elder Ballard for knowing just what us mommies need!


Daughters Of God by Elder Ballard
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=9694558fcc599110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

No comments: